People’s Voice Editorial
The Conservative strategy of appearing as champions of “law and order”, careful spending and open government took a direct hit on April 11, with the release of a “bombshell” confidential report from Auditor‑General Sheila Fraser about “pork‑barrel largesse, dubious spending and misinforming Parliament.” Whether the pro-Tory corporate media will use this news to spank “Bubble Boy” Stephen Harper is highly doubtful, but the contents are stunning.
According to the Globe and Mail, the draft report says the government misinformed Parliament to win approval for a $50 million G8 slush fund that lavished money on questionable projects in Industry Minister Tony Clement’s riding. The minister, the mayor of Huntsville, and the general manager of Deerhurst Resort which hosted the summit, chose 32 projects to fund, ranging from $100,000 on a gazebo, to $1.1 million for sidewalk and tree upgrades, and $194,000 for a park, all an hour’s drive distant from the summit. Add to this the earlier revelations that hundreds of millions of dollars were poured into “security preparations” which amounted to mind-boggling violations of civil liberties in Toronto, and a clear picture emerges.
If ever a Canadian government could be fairly accused of corruption, enormous waste, arrogant contempt for taxpayers and Parliament, utter disregard for the rule of law, and obsessive secrecy, this is it. Little wonder that opinion surveys show that nearly three-quarters of voters who don’t favour the Tories are deeply frightened by the possibility of a Harper majority. As the saying goes, Canadians should be “be afraid… be very afraid.” Then they should get out and vote to dump Mr. Harper on May 2.
Labels: communist party, federal election, harper, people's voice
G20 spending continues to outrage Canadians
Stephen Sunday, April 24, 2011
What's hot this month
Rebel Youth is looking for hitchhiking stories. If you have a good hitchhiking tale, write us at Rebel Youth (at) ycl-ljc.ca Kieran Szuch...
Statement by the Young Communist League of Canada YCL-LJC CEC, May 2013 Over the past six months, the Harper Conservative government ...
COPYLEFT - REBEL YOUTH. Powered by Blogger.
About RY Magazine
Rebel Youth offers a weekly pan-Canadian Socialist perspectives on the youth and student movement across Canada and internationally. Produced by the Young Communist League of Canada, we publish in print edition three times a year. Our sister magazine in French is Jeunesse Militante Write us (Rebel Youth 290A Danforth Ave, Toroto ON., M4K 1N6) to get copy of either publication - $12 CND. for four issues. Read the media that fights back. Because there is no time like now to organize!
Donate to our magazine via our publisher, the Young Communist League of Canada
- ► 2013 (75)
- ► 2012 (244)
- MAY DAY 2011: TAKE THE ROAD OF CLASS STRUGGLE
- IWD 2011 - Let’s make it another glorious day of s...
- Release Joaquín Pérez Becerra immediately!
- An Appeal for Your Support
- Media release: Afghanistan facts
- Media release: Nature before profits
- Media release: Communist Party Jobs Program
- Media release: Communist Party Protests Exclusion ...
- Media release: Communist Party Calls For Withdrawa...
- Media release: Communist Party of Canada Calls for...
- Media Release: CP condemns racist comments
- Media release: Communist Party Calls For Federal H...
- Vancouver sinks, Harper fiddles?
- People’s Energy Plan for Canada
- Expensive Killing Machines
- G20 spending continues to outrage Canadians
- Communist Party of Canada offers unique political ...
- Corporate Tax cuts do not create jobs
- Communists campaign on hamilton picket lines
- Fighter Jets: Sticker Shock?
- Media release: CPC Leader in BC
- Communists running four candidates in Quebec
- Communist Party releases Housing Policy
- Vote Communist!
- New Canadians and anyone concerned with our immigr...
- ▼ Apr 24 (25)
- ► 2010 (327)
- ► 2009 (251)
- ► 2008 (36)
- ► 2006 (31)